• Free income tax preparation

  • Free filing of federal and state income taxes 

  • New York and New Jersey state taxes only 

  • All tax services are by appointment only

Remember, you must use our automated scheduler


  • Varies, see automated scheduler for locations and times



Mary Caldwell

Community Programs Specialist 

1-855-OK-HOPES ext. 1108

*this number is not for scheduling appointments


Contact Me
  • There is no income eligibility requirement

  • Before we file your taxes, provide current proof of income, for 4-weeks (paystubs or notarized letter from employer)

  • Proof of income is used for allocating our grants

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Frequently asked questions


Are staff and volunteers certified to prepare taxes?

All staff and volunteers are trained and certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to prepare taxes. We are trained to get you the most credit you can receive, including Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly.

What can I do if I can't make my scheduled appointment?

Please cancel using our appointment scheduler. If you are having techincal difficulties, call us. By canceling as soon as you know that you will not be able to make it, you will be creating space for someone else to schedule an appointment.

IRS said you can amend my taxes, can you?

HOPES can only amend taxes that our staff and volunteers have prepared. We can NOT amend taxes prepared by someone else. Please consult the person or business that prepared your taxes.

Can I get an estimate on my tax refund or amount owed?

HOPES cannot give out estimates. We are a free service, so you will be saving in tax preparation fees.

What is a tax drop off?

This option allows you to drop off your tax documentation (we make copies, and you keep the originals), and you fill out the intake paperwork. After we clarify your paperwork and verify all required documentation is copied, you are free to leave. Within a week, we will prepare your taxes and you will be called to come back and sign to have your taxes filed. You still need to make an appointment; in addition to providing proof of income (used for our grant allocation).

Can I get my taxes prepared for previous years?

Yes, however we can only prepare taxes for the last three years. If you need taxes prepared more than 3 years back, see a professional tax preparer. After you set your appointment using the automated scheduler, contact us to let us know that you want prior years and possibly multiple years done. Depending on staffing, we may ask you drop off.

Locations and Times

Where can I get my taxes prepared?

During the tax season, HOPES offers on-site tax preparation at various locations, including Hoboken, Plainfield, Somerset, and more – this is only from February 1st through April 15th. Use the appointment scheduler to learn more about locations.

Where can I go after the tax season has ended?

After the tax season, HOPES only operates one day a week in Hoboken until June 30. If you are needing tax preparation after that time, contact us to see if we are still taking clients.

Can I just show up to get my taxes done?

Unfortunately, we do not accept walk-ins. Remember to schedule your appointment early as our open slots fill up fast!

Do you offer evening appointments?

Yes, we offer a few evenings a week for appointments. These are in Hoboken and they fill up fast. So make an appointment early.

What about Saturdays, do you have appointments?

We generally have appointments one Saturday a month. These generally fill up fast, so schedule your appointment early!

During the tax season, what days and times do you prepare taxes?

We offer Monday-Friday services at various sites. Most sites are 1 day a week, others are 1 day every two weeks. Please use the automated scheduler to determine when we are at each site.

What to bring?

What income documents do I need to bring?

You need documentation for any sources of income, these can include: wage and earning statement( s): Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers and/or interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099).

Is my ID good enough?

You need to bring both a state-issued photo id or passport. AND your social security card - the actual card. We cannot accept copies of either as valid proof of identity.

What if I have dependents, what do I need to bring?

For proof of identity, you need to bring their social security card and the dependent's birth certificates.

What if I do not have a Social Security number?

You will need to bring Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse, and dependents. And proof of foreign status, if applying for ITIN.

What do I bring if I want to have my refund direct deposited?

You will need proof of bank account routing number and account number for Direct Deposit such as a blank check.

How can I get more credit for my dependent?

You can provide the total paid to daycare provider and bring the daycare’s tax identifying number.

To volunteer, check out Make an Impact